Notifications v. Emails

Personal Ads & Forum General Discussion Notifications v. Emails

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Boujie1
    Participant
    • Female
    • Looking for: Male
    • USA
    • Florida

I don’t fully understand Notifications. I can see them being used to let you know there is a friend request, or a comment to a post. Why is that function being used instead of the email function for communicating with each other? I would really appreciate some insight.

Boujie1

r256
    Participant
    • Male
    • Looking for: Female
    • United Kingdom

Hi Boujie1,

Seems there was a problem with a large number of emails being sent out, please see link below:

Email notifications – please read

Hope this helps.

Boujie1
    Participant
    • Female
    • USA
    • Florida

I’m sorry, but that response doesn’t make any sense to me. I have a counter that notifies me if I get an email. I don’t need a “notification” as well. What is happening is I am receiving “messages” in notifications INSTEAD of in email format. To me, that negates the email feature. Pick one or the other.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Because of the massive amount of emails sent out whenever there was a PM was causing the site to have issues, so the emails were turned off and you get a notification instead, seems pretty easy to understand. you would of gotten both originally now you just get the notification, which the majority of people seem to like to have, but I guess that can also be turned off also.
    So the best option was picked for the current site circumstances, to turn off the emails whenever you had a PM

Anonymous
    Inactive

Also, I see in your profile you want people to send you emails instead of PM’s, well this is what’s going to happen if say everyone wanted to do that instead of using PM’s, you’re going to run into the same problem you had when you were getting the emails whenever you had a PM, the site will start to suffer performance issues so you’re right back to the original problem.
    Maybe one day that issue can be taken care for but for now having people sending you emails instead of PM’s will only make things worst if everyone was to go that route, causing the system to bog down.

Boujie1
    Participant
    • Female
    • USA
    • Florida

This does not apply to my issue. My frustration is receiving “Friend Requests” with messages included. I don’t just collect friends like a lot of people. I only add a friend if I have something in common with them. If someone wants to communicate with me, they should send an email. That is what the email feature is for. That is my frustration regarding the ‘notifications’…

Michael_Admin
    Keymaster
    • Male
    • Looking for: Female
    • United Kingdom

Ok, it’s finally clear what boujie1 is saying:

– The fact that messages can be included with the friends-request is leading lots of guys to take the lazy route and using that INSTEAD OF using the Private Message function to initially introduce themself & get to know someone.

I can easily remove the message-box from friends-requests. Would that be better? That would force guys to use Private Message to speak to you. However, it would also mean lots and lots of blank, anonymous, friends-requests getting sent out, which is what women on this site were initially bothered about.

Things on this site are never going to be perfect, it’s always a bit of a compromise.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Seems like a impasse here, a lot of people prefer to have a introductory type message with a friend request, a lot of people won’t accept one without it, now maybe if you can limited the amount of characters in the message box so that it can only be a very short message no more than say 25 characters maybe that would help if people are getting long drawn out messages with the friends request.

My feelings is that people should send a PM first before the friends request, if they don’t response back in the affirmative or at all no need to make a friends request.

I guess you can look at the friend request with a message as if someone is knocking on your door, and you say who is it, with the message you get a response and you decide then to open the door or not, without the message you’re just opening the door, of course you can always view their profile but you don’t know why they knocked.

Maybe you can setup a poll and see which people prefer, having the message with the friends request or not, as you said Michael the lack of the message is what many women found most problematic. so yes a bit of a compromise would be in order.

Boujie1
    Participant
    • Female
    • USA
    • Florida

I really don’t think that would work. It is hard enough to get a message with a complete sentence.

Jessica
    Participant
    • Female
    • USA
    • Indiana

Dont understand why you cannot get a message with a complete sentence. Every message I get has that and more. I never have a problem with communication when I message someone.

Boujie1
    Participant
    • Female
    • USA
    • Florida

I think it is great that you have had that experience. I have had wonderful emails and some that are one or two words. I can deal with that. My “issue” and the purpose of this post is when I get notifications requesting a friend request, is that when I have not received a email in advance. I haven’t had any communication with the person at all. So, out of the blue, some stranger requests to be a friend and in the request, they maybe at most they send a sentence or two. My point is, if you want to be a friend, get to know me, send me an email, once I know you, then we can be friends. I don’t just collect them like charms on a bracelet.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

New Report

Close