Herbs

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Alexa
    Participant
    • Female
    • Looking for: Male & Female
    • USA
    • Florida

I can’t take dom. I experienced heart palpitations on 30mg a day. I’ve pretty much given up hope of lactation, but I realize I don’t need much milk to be satisfied. If you’ve ever used herbs and had a few drops, what did you take and how often? I don’t really believe herbs will help most women lactate, but I might try it.

Effervescent1
    Participant
    • Female
    • Looking for: Male
    • USA
    • California

Blessed Thistle and Fenugreek are the two main supplements recommended for increasing production (although fenugreek can have the reverse effect for some women). Other herbs are Moringa, Shatavari, Alfalfa, torbangun, Fennel, and Goat’s Rue. Oatmeal and Brewer’s Yeast, also help increase production. Its recommended to eat oatmeal at least 3x/week and there are lots of recipes online for “Lactation cookies.” Sunflower Lethicin is used for plugged ducts/Mastitis. Most of these herbs are taken once milk comes in, though I believe Goat’s Rue may be taken before milk comes in to help prepare the breast tissue and Alfalfa also helps with induction. Oregano, mint, and parsley can actually inhibit production. https://dreamsofmilk.com/herbal-galactagogues/

FrenchiesGirl
    Participant
    • Female
    • Looking for: Female
    • USA
    • Virginia

I’ve been pumping for 4 weeks. What is the norm for supply at this time? For the last two weeks I have been producing about a teaspoon on one side and a half teaspoon or less from my slacker side each time I pump. I hate feeling like I’ve stalled and won’t move past this amount. I take dom 80 mg daily. Sometimes I miss a dose. I take moringa 1000 mg daily. I don’t want to take fenugreek or blessed thistle and feel like they’re all a crap shoot anyway..where do you stop?
    I have Oatmeal approx 3x weekly, spinach, fruit, etc. Struggle with drinking enough water. I nursed all my children and had loads of milk, no supply issue, so to be struggling to eke out drops is frustrating:). I used to pump every 3 hours and occasional power pump sessions, but due to my work hours, sometimes I go 6 to 8 hours where I can’t pump, and I feel this is also stalling me out.
    I welcome all comments/advice. Thank you!

HighDesertMilk
    Participant
    • Female
    • USA
    • New Mexico

Lol, I believe you have to believe it will work first off! Placebo effect you know?!

Participant
    • Female
    • Rep. of Ireland

Water is so important. One woman here posted a video on her milk supply on a day where she drank very little water, she said there was a big difference in her milk supply

I take liquid gold, moringa and goats rue

Flowrgardn
    Participant
    • Female
    • USA
    • Iowa

The real beauty of abf and anr is not producing milk, but in the process. Just enjoy that. Of course, the process is much more enjoyable when it is your partner who is suckling in an attempt to produce or just to relax, whether you eventually prouce or not. That’s why I stopped pumping. I decided it was up to my eventual partner and I to decide how far we took the process. Don’t stress about lactation, just enjoy the process.

Galacta
    Participant
    • Female
    • USA
    • Ohio

@Alexa34544 I just had to stop taking Dom too! I was enjoying it. It was really working, but my weightloss stalled and I found that it was making it harder to orgasm. I also started to have some mild chest pain, but maybe that was just a coincidence.

Alexa
    Participant
    • Female
    • USA
    • Florida

I’ve heard it makes some gain weight. That is common. Though I had no weight gain. It also can affect libido. And I don’t think the chest pain was coincidental. There’s a definite link to cardiac events with this medication. That’s why it’s not allowed here and black boxed in other countries. It’s potentially dangerous. Not worth the risk especially when I was having the palpitations. I couldn’t believe that out of all the side effects that’s what I had but it’s probably more common than we think

Galacta
    Participant
    • Female
    • USA
    • Ohio

Do you think we will still be able to produce a reasonable amount of milk without it?

Alexa
    Participant
    • Female
    • USA
    • Florida

I don’t know what you consider “reasonable”? It seems some have produced drops via other methods but everyone else who has a supply uses dom

Alexa
    Participant
    • Female
    • USA
    • Florida

But not everyone who uses dom produces much and they are taking like 90-120 mg a day which is a crazy high dose and definitely not worth the risk imo

Galacta
    Participant
    • Female
    • USA
    • Ohio

I would be happy if I could produce a couple teaspoons. I don’t need alot. I feel I’m being very reasonable. 🙂

Alexa
    Participant
    • Female
    • USA
    • Florida

I feel the same

HighDesertMilk
    Participant
    • Female
    • USA
    • New Mexico

I was reminded to share this here… I’ve been using this for a few days and already feel like it’s making a difference. My boobs are feeling fuller, plumper and more sensitive. I already produce (and nurse my daughter) on the left side, trying to relactate the right. Seems to have made a difference for both.

https://milky-mama.com/lady-leche/

I did try taking a high dose (just the recommended serving size of 2 Tbs/day) of powdered sunflower lecithin a few weeks ago and that also had some noticable effects on the size and feel of my breasts, but it also caused a substantial case of edema in my feet/legs/hands at night similar to being 38 wks pregnant, so that was a no go. Trying to incorporate a smaller dose now.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Most women will only produce small amounts of milk even with the use of domperidone. The most I ever produced was 2 ounces on the left side and about 1.5 on the right, that was taking about 120 mgs of domperidone a day and pumping every 2 to 3 hours. From what other women have told me and what I have read, I was producing a lot. When was breastfeeding I could feed my baby and pump an additional 6 to 8 ounces on each side, so 1.5 to 2 ounces seems like nothing.

As far a fenugreek is concerned, it is for increasing production not inducing, do not waste your time if you are not already lactating. It works for some, but not for all.

I took when I first induced using domperidone and in 2 days I completely dries up even though I was pumping every 2 to 3 hours, drinking 150 oz of water a day, and talking domperidone.

The only herb that I have heard of actually working is goat’s rue, I have not taken it though. The info I got is that it’s best to use dried goat’s rue leaves to make a tincture. I’m told it’s more effective as a tincture and more affordable.

Addressing weight gain and stagnant weight loss while taking domperidone. Domperidone speeds up digestion and his results in people being hungry more often, therefore eating more often than necessary. The best way to deal with that is eating several smaller meals rather than 3 larger, low calorie snacks, and lots of water, you can’t fill up on calories when you have a belly full of water lol. Baby carrots arey go to since they are low in calories and they take a bit longer to digest even if a person is taking domperidone.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

New Report

Close