Infant formula shortage

Personal Ads & Forum General Discussion Infant formula shortage

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    cornshell
    Participant
    • Male
    • Looking for: Female
    • USA
    • New York

There’s currently an infant formula shortage in the US. Have any lactating women decided to donate or sell their milk as a result? Or, if already a donor or seller, increase the amount they donate or sell?

Or, has anyone decided to induce especially for the purpose of donating or selling?

Karen
    Participant
    • Female
    • Looking for: Male & Female
    • USA
    • Minnesota

Not currently producing but if I was I would love to be able to donate it.

Anonymous
    Inactive

If I produced enough I would. Sadly most of the women who induce without pregnancy don’t make much milk plus the supplements and medications that are taken to lactate are not proven safe for babies.

Effervescent1
    Participant
    • Female
    • Looking for: Male
    • USA
    • California

Most certified banks require the donor to have given birth within 18 months. They also pasteurize the milk for safety but it kills nutrients. Oftentimes a Rx is required to receive the milk creating a barrier for the recipients. There are many “informal” milk sharing networks that don’t have those requirements but parents may not feel as comfortable feeding their child from them. They can be found on Facebook or community message boards.

L
    Participant
    • Male
    • Looking for: Female
    • United Kingdom

I was surprised to hear about this shortage. Only in the west is there such a thing. Maybe I’m ill-informed as to why baby formula is even a thing, but growing up in an African country all I saw was babies (black and white) being breastfed, sometimes even up to the age of 4-5.

Even if there was baby formula back then, most people wouldn’t have been able to afford it, but it was never a problem because mother’s breast is and always will be best.

Effervescent1
    Participant
    • Female
    • USA
    • California

@seanp Breastfeeding is more difficult than people think it is. Many women struggle with production, pain, mastitis, children that won’t latch or are tongue tied, etc. I know it’s marketed as this beautiful and natural process but it can be a real struggle. One that women don’t discuss openly because they are made to feel like failures because of the prevailing attitude, like yours. Then when you add in the fact that in the US, maternity leave can be rather short, many women return back to work in 2 weeks. Often those women don’t have jobs that really allow for pumping, either. In the US, stay at home moms are the exception, not the rule, anymore. We also still have puritanical ideas about breastfeeding in public which pushes women to go to unsanitary public restrooms or face ridicule from those around her while she’s doing something completely natural, which is so hypocritical. It can be a real struggle mentally, physically, and logistically to breastfeed to meet the demands of your child’s nutritional needs 100%. And many women are left trying to figure it out on their own because they don’t have family nearby or women who have experience in their lives, etc. Then there are the children in foster care, who are adopted, who have allergies, or who need supplemental nutrition. There may not even be a woman in the picture in some instances. I’m sure there are many other reasons that parents need to use formula. But it’s crazy to me that in a modern western country that does so little to support new mothers, we place this expectation on them that they have to fulfill this idealized role of the breastfeeding, nurturing mother, when it’s not always that easy or simple. Perhaps you should reserve your opinions until you’ve tried it. 🤨 FWIW I just saw on a show where a guy from Cameroon objected to his 17 month old baby still being breastfed, telling his American fiancé that in his country they stop at 7 months. So it sounds like attitudes vary in Africa.

Mama J
    Participant
    • Female
    • USA
    • Indiana

I’m currently pregnant and expecting in October I found nursing my first as a bit difficult and I quit. I am not sure with having my second and a son who is also very needy if I will be able to juggle nursing easily like you said tongue ties too..I am going to attempt nursing again but I will rely on formula most likely… so hopefully this mess is settled by then..

Effervescent1
    Participant
    • Female
    • USA
    • California

@anrmama94 Yours is a very common story. I wish you the best on your pregnancy and whatever you decide to do, is exactly what is best for your young family. I too hope this tragic set of events is resolved soon so that parents don’t have continueto worry how to nourish their children on top of everything else. Blessings.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

New Report

Close