Discord

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Michael and community, just curious if there has been any thoughts or discussion before about adding a Discord for abfheaven? It would help for adding functionality to the chat function on the front page and allow for more possibilities in terms of communication.

Sorry if this has been brought up/discussed before and I missed it.

Treasure Chest
    Participant
    • Female
    • Looking for: Male
    • USA
    • Texas

Would we have to sign into Discord separately or would the Discord be present on the front page as now?
    I’ve used Discord a tiny bit but I also find it overwhelming. It seems that most channels have a mod due to the massive influx of data.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I believe for full functionality, would mean a separate sign in, although a link could be added to the front page to make it easier to be directed into the abfheaven channel, and if you have the discord credentials saved, you wouldn’t need to manually type in user/pw each time.

if you ever need help with navigating discord or other technology, please let me know!

Treasure Chest
    Participant
    • Female
    • USA
    • Texas

Discords a great platform but I worry it would fracture the community away from the site. I dunno.

LadyOceana
    Participant
    • Female
    • Canada

I too find Discord overwhelming and avoid it like the plague actually. A bit like stepping into The Matrix.

I’m curious though, what features/communication tools does it offer that we don’t have access to here?

Anonymous
    Inactive

that is a good point, since it is ultimately a 3rd party platform from this site, although it can be thought of more as a supplemental or enhancement of features on top of the content of this site, for example a room where people can voice chat instead of typing. also, some of the great discussions/tips/thoughts can be lost to the people that don’t happen to be online at the same time, and discord is a great way to preserve those ideas.

Divad Narr
    Participant
    • Male
    • Looking for: Female
    • USA
    • New York

I’m with Lady Oceana. I tried Discord. I found the user interface to be excruciating. I avoid it like the plague now.

Treasure Chest
    Participant
    • Female
    • USA
    • Texas

The Matrix is a good analogy @ladyoceana

The site-embedded chat allows us to see each other’s profile and get to know each other better. Reference forum posts, etc.

I do wish there was an easier to scroll up to catch anything missed, although the chat is purged every few days. Maybe share photos/memes (this could be abused, so not sure). I itch so often to share memes in chat!

Anonymous
    Inactive

yes! memes and preserving the chat are two key advantages, although we can link out to images/memes, it is not quite the same experience as directly in chat

Michael_Admin
    Keymaster
    • Male
    • Looking for: Female
    • United Kingdom

@Way… thanks for the suggestion, I do appreciate it. I would probably only introduce something like that if it solved an existing problem and added some really necessary new functionality. For now though, I think the existing chatroom is kinda adequate; it’s good enough to be going on with.

The site is always a “work in progress” however, so I will look into Discord for sure at some point. Again, thanks.

Anonymous
    Inactive

thanks for the feedback everyone and for considering it for the future Michael!

LadyOceana
    Participant
    • Female
    • Canada

I’ve been in chat rooms where graphics and memes literally drowned everyone! Then people share things that are really distasteful to some but hilarious to others and it can cause more drama than text and voice I found.

Anonymous
    Inactive

that can certainly be true, but possible ways around it may be to have graphic/meme specific channels to try to divert some of that away from topic/chatting specific channels

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

New Report

Close