Puzzle solvers, who are ye?

Personal Ads & Forum General Discussion Puzzle solvers, who are ye?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Grogman 🚀⚡️❄️
    Participant
    • Male
    • Looking for: Female
    • USA
    • Ohio

A couple of questions to ponder;
    How many of you solve the puzzles?

How many then add comments?

How do you solve the puzzles?

Complete the perimeter?
    Start in a corner and work outwards?
    Start with the middle pieces and finish with edging?

My personal favorite is starting in a corner.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ll complete the puzzle each day, I think it’s important to thank the host for taking the bold step to share.

I’ll start from the nipple (of course) if there is one or I’ll build the border first 🙂

Treasure Chest
    Participant
    • Female
    • Looking for: Male
    • USA
    • Texas

Identify all corners.
    Sort all edges.
    Build borders.
    Work from edges inward.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I do 4 stacks identifying the edges and corners. Make the borders and then work by color and shades. Usually takes me 5 to 6 minutes and sometimes much longer.

Tall
    Participant
    • Male
    • USA
    • Ohio

I agree with the above. I build most of the perimeter at first. I have developed names for the mating pieces based on their shapes as an aide de memoire as I hunt– e.g. “Fireplug”, “southwest arrow”, “north-east pointing banana”, etc

Michael_Admin
    Keymaster
    • Male
    • United Kingdom

Fireplug?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Back when we first started having the puzzles, and I finished my first one, I messaged Michael to ask him what the record was for the fastest finish.

He said “One-fifty-five.”

I replied that I had just beat that. “I just finished in one-twenty-six.”

He said “No Frank. One MINUTE and fifty-five SECONDS.”

I said “Oh.”

Sometimes I forget to express my gratitude to the puzzle model. Usually because I’m all hot and bothered by the time I complete it. Anyway, I ALWAYS enjoy the ladies in the puzzles. THANK-YOU ALL. ” )

Michael_Admin
    Keymaster
    • Male
    • United Kingdom

Today’s puzzle lady (later on) …I don’t pick favourites (not fair!) …but wow! is she gorgeous ..,(yes, a site member)

Grogman 🚀⚡️❄️
    Participant
    • Male
    • USA
    • Ohio

She is beautiful. She could nurse me back to health with her puffy pillows and beaming smile.🤗

Mister Lusty
    Participant
    • Male
    • USA
    • Nevada

I do the perimeters first also. I also have found it useful to “name” recurring shape features. “Banana’s and banana shaped holes are very useful.

Tall
    Participant
    • Male
    • USA
    • Ohio

Hahaha Michael, you had no problem with my French “aide de memoire” my Latin “e.g.” but noted my American “fireplug”.

http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/fireplug

I was surprised to find that it was a term used in New Zealand, too.

We learn all manner of things on abfheaven.

Anonymous
    Inactive

The etymology of “fireplug” is interesting but I think more interesting is that of “Plug-ugly.” It originated back when fire departments were paid directly by insurance companies. When, a fire broke out, the local departments sent goons to the fire plug nearest the fire to prevent other departments from using it. Fights would break out over control of the fireplug. Thus the term.

@elysium
    I had not known the term “aide de memoire” before. I only knew “mnemonic device.” About 18 years ago I read a book by Harry Lorayne and Jerry Lucas called “The Memory Book” that changed my life. The book was already thirty years old then. The practice of “Loci” used to be required in education and the most famous use was of Simonides of Ceos.

Effervescent1
    Participant
    • Female
    • Looking for: Male
    • USA
    • California

I was doing the puzzles daily and would always leave a comment of thanks. My comments are not as “excited” as the men’s comments, usually. LOL The puzzles usually only have about 35-50 pieces, so I don’t really feel that much strategy is required. Sometimes I’ll group like pieces together. Starting with the border isn’t usually necessary for me, but I do a lot of large puzzles both real and digital, regularly.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I do them every day.
    I rarely comment on them. But thank you to everyone who shares a pic!
    I usually do one edge, then the opposite edge, then complete the perimeter before filling in the rest.

Anonymous
    Inactive

i start around the perimeter and work my way in.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

New Report

Close