IUD and mammograms

Personal Ads & Forum General Discussion IUD and mammograms

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Veronica
    Participant
    • Female
    • Looking for: Male
    • USA
    • Oregon

I see someone else asked this first question but not much input so throwing this out again. Does anyone know if an IUD can cause difficulty with milk production? I am not producing as much as I would like and wondering if this is contributing.
    Secondly how are ladies handling getting mammograms or explaining lactation. Does lactation affect results? Do I need to stop lactating for a brief time and if so how long before?

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m really interested to know about the mammograms as well. I have to be honest, I have been inducing on and off again since before I turned 40 and haven’t gotten one yet just because I was nervous that the lactation issue would come up…
    I had my IUD removed before I started inducing lactation though. So, I can’t help much there, but that is a really good question

Agent Rose
    Participant
    • Female
    • USA
    • Oregon

Hi Veronica,

I can talk about how I have handled mammograms. I have always pumped/hand expressed just before my appointment and in my case since the volumes have been low for me… I say “I am inducing lactation for an upcoming adoption.”

If they find milk in your breasts, it could be interpreted as something negative if they don’t.

The mammogram office said that once I fully lactate , I would need to work extra hard on making sure I am as empty as possible prior to the appointment.

As far as the IUD, I got a boost in supply after I had mine removed. It was a Mirena. If you are using a non hormonal one then I would suspect that is not what is holding you back.

Veronica
    Participant
    • Female
    • USA
    • Oregon

Thank you both. Mine is a Mirena also and I wondered if it could be an issue. I have a mammogram scheduled in July and think about canceling because of not wanting to explain but it was scheduled for a couple months.
    I am assuming they need to know I am lactating because of the breast tissue changes that come with induction. Am I correct?

Bostonguy
    Participant
    • Male
    • Looking for: Female
    • USA
    • Massachusetts

Inducing lactation may change the density of your breasts as reported on the mammogram.

Breast density on mammograms are categorized as Mostly fatty replaced, scattered density, heterogeneous dense or extremely dense.

If the interpreting physician notes a change in density it may trigger a callback for additional imaging. I would suggest just mention it to the mammo tech who will record it and this may prevent a call back.

Agent Rose
    Participant
    • Female
    • USA
    • Oregon

Yes. That’s correct. Please prioritize your health screens. They just need to know you are lactating. They won’t asky why.

Only you know that it maybe for a possibly kinky/non traditional reason.

Own the fact that you lactate, if they ask, there are many answers to chose from:
    – the truth
    – you’re work on an adoption
    – you’re helping a friend’s under supply situation
    – you donate your milk

There is no shame in having lactating boobs beyond the expected motherhood years. My gut says though no one will ask.

I have had 4 mammograms since I started inducing in 2019. The breast tissue changes are less of the issue than residual milk stored in the breasts would appear as pure white which they might interpret as a mass otherwise.

Bob willis
    Participant
    • Male
    • USA
    • Michigan

Feeding your daughters child because she can’t for whatever reason.

Bostonguy
    Participant
    • Male
    • USA
    • Massachusetts

Yes the increased density can be mitigated with use of 3-d tomo synthesis mammograms.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I usually take a break from domperidone every couple of years and then get my screening!
    Just passed one so it’s time to lactate! Hahah maybe!!🤔

Flowrgardn
    Participant
    • Female
    • USA
    • Iowa

Be sure to take care of your health. Prioritize it. Health professionals do not care about this. You could pump or express prior to doing so for your comfort. The mammogram will show fluids (milk or pre-milk fluid) as white in the imagery. Fluids will show, but that is a normal state for some women. No need to explain.

Veronica
    Participant
    • Female
    • USA
    • Oregon

Jules how long do you wait between stopping dom and pumping to get the mammogram? Just wondering how long I need of a break to take.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Never understood why they use mammograms for routine checkups. If they find anything suspicious on a mammogram, they usually go to an ultrasound scan to investigate more closely. Seems strange that they’d use X-ray which carries radiation exposure risk when ultrasound is completely safe and appears to offer better detection and diagnosis of something is wrong.

Back to the original question, my late wife was completely open with any medical personnel about her lactation way after children were weaned, and she said it was not frowned on or questioned by a single one. I’m guessing it’s not entirely uncommon that they encounter lactating women that are choosing to lactate for their own personal reasons. As long as they know the lactation is intentional and not being caused by something sinister, then they’ll be perfectly fine and accepting of it. It’s not taboo for a woman’s breasts to make milk after all.

Princess Ruby
    Participant
    • Female
    • United Kingdom

I had a mammogram a couple of weeks ago. I lactate and I chose not to mention it and had no concerns. X

Veronica
    Participant
    • Female
    • USA
    • Oregon

Update…had my mammogram. The check list asks about have a breastfed in the past 6 months. Overthinking, I figured this means am I lactating. I mark yes. The lady asks me how old my baby is. I explain I don’t have a baby and am doing this because I want to. She begins to explain that there is no way for a woman to produce milk unless she had a baby recently. After briefly trying to explain that what I have is not a couple drops of clear fluid but indeed white milk, I gave up and figured they will figure it out.
    Silly girl. The women on here prove differently. A couple clear drops??? 🤣😂

Found the 1. The only one.
    Participant
    • Male
    • USA
    • Michigan

Most people, even health care professionals, are unaware of what you are doing.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

New Report

Close